But the journey is worthwhile, and it goes beyond casting a ballot

- Barrack Obama

As you all know, last Tuesday-Wednesday was big for the country because of the visit by US's President Barrack Obama. And maybe you know..... politic thingy is really not my thing. I shared my point of view with you in many things. Many sights in life. But never, ever politics. I don't really care about that thing actually. This Obama guy, turned me to care a little about his visit since he take my campus for his speech. I got two days off because of him! Yea, there will be a few replacement classes. But after midterm tests, sudden two days off were awesome! Honestly, i have a desire to watch him live in Balairung. But i find out that there's only a few students from some organizations whose allowed to come. So i guess the best thing to do was cherish the day.

Like everybody else, i watched the speech. And of course, i was amazed. Geez, he's so inspiring. The way he talk, his gesture, even his smile. My impression is he seems so humble. He talked about couple things. What i consider the most were about democracy, religion and tolerance. Unity in diversity. Here are my favourite line(s) from his speech:

"Of course, democracy is messy. Not everyone likes the results of every election. You go through ups and downs. But the journey is worthwhile, and it goes beyond casting a ballot."


"I said then, and I will repeat now, that no single speech can eradicate years of mistrust. But I believed then, and I believe today, that we have a choice."

"That is not to say that Indonesia is without imperfections. No country is. But here can be found the ability to bridge divides of race and region and religion – that ability to see yourself in all individuals.
"

After the speech, of course there were many comments. In the television, radio, internet, and of course.........twitter. The most happening, cruel, somehow fun yet addictive site was full with "Obama-fever". Some say things common with me, some say the opposite. Some of them being so positive, some of them said the most negative. Well, maybe that's diversity.

What i don't understand is why people being so negative about other's people reaction. I mean it's other's business to react in any kind they wanted to. As long as they didn't do any harm, why bother? I just don't get it why people have to mad when others clapped their hands (mostly) when Obama spoke in bahasa? Why people have to mad when the press talked about "Obama still remember his past in here"?

You can call me apathetic. Sometimes, well most of times.... i am. I know, with the principle of "that's not my business" i seemed like careless. What i'm trying to say is, everyone have their right to come up with their expression. Life is hard already, why can't people slow down? Take it easily. Show some (nice) attitude that they suppose to have when they're talking about other's. I think what the President saying about Unity in Diversity, in a very simple way is about staying together even we have so many differences. Our people even can't face difference in how they react about the speech. How come there will be a unity?

My only wish is for those people who hate so much, who talked negative so bad, and being overly critical till get skeptical realize, that no matter they argue.......there won't be a change if they themselves can't understand the simplest thing, tolerance. Let's start by looking ourselves. Start with a very simple thing. And start right now!

This is my point of view. It's your right to judge differently, but i don't have any desire to have a second thoughts nor doubt yours. Let's start appreciate each other's mind.Stay together, even when we're different.
Clarissa Rizky

Comments

Popular Posts