On having a go-to place
There are millions—okay I am exaggerating—but there are tonnes of reasons to love London. I am one of those people who fall for this city way before I even put my feet on it. It was obviously Harry Potter who gave ten years old Clarissa the idea of walking by King’s Cross station to go to platform 9 ¾ and travel to Hogwarts. Since then, every movie, every book and everything related to London has always been fascinating for me. Finally living the dream to actually live here is truly an amazing experience and I'd like to share a bit about my favourite go-to places here in the city. I did not say that it’s the best place to spend your time in London, because, by go-to I mean I visited the place at least once a week, I guess, just to clear the mind. Here you go:
1. The South Bank
It was Steffy who introduced me to this sweet spot of the city. It took 7ish minutes from my campus to the place, where you can sit and have the river Thames as your view. London Eye, Big Ben, the Tate Modern, Millenium Bridge are all within walking distance and that is probably the main reason this place will always be on the top of my list, because as much as I recognize this city as my second home, I still am a tourist who feels excited every time I put a glance on those places. One more, south bank has its own second-hand bookstore that serves a range of books from last decades to the recently published ones. Most of them are under 10 quids.
It was Steffy who introduced me to this sweet spot of the city. It took 7ish minutes from my campus to the place, where you can sit and have the river Thames as your view. London Eye, Big Ben, the Tate Modern, Millenium Bridge are all within walking distance and that is probably the main reason this place will always be on the top of my list, because as much as I recognize this city as my second home, I still am a tourist who feels excited every time I put a glance on those places. One more, south bank has its own second-hand bookstore that serves a range of books from last decades to the recently published ones. Most of them are under 10 quids.
2. Tower Bridge
Unlike a coffee lover who usually hates Starbucks, I actually love them. London Starbucks do not serve cold brew coffee unless it’s the summer (I do not consider blended frappuccino as a decent coffee). So in the summer, I love to stop by at Tower Bridge’s Starbucks and sit by the river with a decent book. This place can simply remind me that even on the worst day, I still am living in this city, and it is a sign that I am blessed beyond measure.
3. Press Coffee, Fleet Street/Chancery Lane
They seriously serve good coffee & both of its branches located near my campus library. My personal favourite for a cold day is definitely an espresso to light up the day, or a large Mocca if you need light coffee and in the summer, they serve an Ice Latte that can boost your mood up. Also what London never fails to amuse me is the way its people greet me. The barista even says that I’m now your friend that if you can always talk to whenever you feel bored at the library. I know, she’s really nice.
4. Foyles, Charing Cross Road
This is by far the biggest bookstore I found in London. It has six floors consist of a wide range of book choice. You name it, they have it. My favourite part of the store is obviously the psychology section, reminded me of Kinokuniya PS, a place where I always love to spend time at, but way too expensive to afford. They also have a range of self-help books that I don't usually find any other places, economics/business to keep the mind sharp, and also the Harry Potter section (well yes, I am still that freak), another section that is full of the perks of living in London, from its history to recommendations on quiet places, best coffee shops and museums to explore and of course, they do have a coffee shop. It usually full of people on weekends, but on regular days, it's pretty quiet and serves good coffee.
This is by far the biggest bookstore I found in London. It has six floors consist of a wide range of book choice. You name it, they have it. My favourite part of the store is obviously the psychology section, reminded me of Kinokuniya PS, a place where I always love to spend time at, but way too expensive to afford. They also have a range of self-help books that I don't usually find any other places, economics/business to keep the mind sharp, and also the Harry Potter section (well yes, I am still that freak), another section that is full of the perks of living in London, from its history to recommendations on quiet places, best coffee shops and museums to explore and of course, they do have a coffee shop. It usually full of people on weekends, but on regular days, it's pretty quiet and serves good coffee.
5. Well Note Library
I enjoy quiet places more than I usually tell people, thus the library is obviously one of my favourite place to be. It is originally designed for people who took medicine as their degree since all the books and literature are about medicine from time to time. That does not mean you cannot enjoy the place if you are not a doctor. I still find its reading room as one of the best quiet places to sit and read in town. The library is completely free, as you can drop your things in the locker on the ground floor and take the elevator to the second floor for both the library and reading room. No worries, they do have a coffee shop, restaurant, and a bookstore as well. The bookstore has an interesting collection that you might not find in Waterstones nor Foyles, as they have the popular medicine books so that people like me still can relate.




6. Maughan Library
As I still need to go to the campus library on a daily basis, this library is actually the most frequent go-to place that I visit. King’s College London has five campuses, each provides us minimum 1 library, this one is the biggest, and its round reading room is known as one of the inspiration for Dumbledore office in the J.K Rowling’s Harry Potter series (sorry I just had to reference that). The only downside of the campus library is the pressure it gives you. Sometimes you need to be in that sort of environment to be motivated, yet sometimes it can be too overwhelming. Thus, I usually take short breaks to coffee shops or other places on the list.
As I still need to go to the campus library on a daily basis, this library is actually the most frequent go-to place that I visit. King’s College London has five campuses, each provides us minimum 1 library, this one is the biggest, and its round reading room is known as one of the inspiration for Dumbledore office in the J.K Rowling’s Harry Potter series (sorry I just had to reference that). The only downside of the campus library is the pressure it gives you. Sometimes you need to be in that sort of environment to be motivated, yet sometimes it can be too overwhelming. Thus, I usually take short breaks to coffee shops or other places on the list.
7. Shoreditch/Brick Lane Market
They said physical proximity matter, as this place is only one stop from my home here in London, I often find myself walking across this hipster area just for the food, the coffee (obviously), the second-hand books and its vibrant colours. East London has been known for its edginess and a wide range of goods that you might only encounter in this specific area. I personally recommend duck confit by Frenchie in brick lane market, the overrated Cereal killer Café (because you will still find it amusing to see tonnes of cereal from all across the world in one store) and of course the bagel that widely known as one of the best bagels.
8. The British Museum
The best Museum in terms of architecture, various range of histories; from the original mummy to original ruins from Romans era, The Aborigines & The British themselves etc. They have it all. They also have an interesting collection of books in its bookstore and the best part, of course, the entrance is free. So you can spend your money on coffee or its souvenirs. The museum is crazy huge, I guess I finally went to all section on my third visit.
9. South Kensington Museums—Natural History, Victoria & Albert, Science Museum
The best Museum in terms of architecture, various range of histories; from the original mummy to original ruins from Romans era, The Aborigines & The British themselves etc. They have it all. They also have an interesting collection of books in its bookstore and the best part, of course, the entrance is free. So you can spend your money on coffee or its souvenirs. The museum is crazy huge, I guess I finally went to all section on my third visit.
9. South Kensington Museums—Natural History, Victoria & Albert, Science Museum
Well, these are not entirely my go-to places, but if a friend came from another city in the UK, I would always bring them to these places. I can even act as an actual tour guide by means I know where the old 1580-ish Persian carpet located and will tell them how careful the museum is regarding putting some light on it to keep the condition well up to today. I will always say yes to a coffee inside the V & A museum just to see how people appreciate art, history and interact under the sun. I also will bring them to the look alive dinosaur which I always love to see in the Natural History Museum or bring them to the Science Museum and say, it looks like Museum Angkut in Malang right? Because I am simply that museum freak, you might (don’t) want to talk with. The entrance for these museums is also free if you wonder how much will it cost you if you ever put London as a vacation destination.
The Natural History Museum
The Victoria & Albert Museum
The Science Museum
The list can go on, but those are on top of my list in terms of wondering where to go. As I don’t have any classes anymore, I need to commit to my dissertation writing, and most of the time, I am extremely unproductive when I stay home. Thus I spend most of my time in these places, both for the writing and also the much-needed breaks. Yes, London always has its ways to amuse me and in the 10th month, I already consider this place to be my second home.
Hope you enjoy the list as much as I do!

























Comments
Post a Comment